The global dairy community is coming together to accelerate climate action and help reduce the sector’s impact on the planet.
This is a vibrant, growing movement, the first of its kind in the world. It brings together dairy farms of every size and type, as well as organizations throughout the dairy supply chain. No matter where you are or how you contribute to the dairy production system, there is a pathway for you towards Dairy Net Zero.
Join us to raise dairy’s climate ambition. Together we will amplify the efforts and initiatives already in place and support action to reduce dairy’s emissions over the next 30 years.
By optimizing productivity and reducing emissions, our efforts today will safeguard nutrition security and sustain a billion livelihoods for tomorrow, while helping secure a future for us all.
The need for dairy is greater than ever.
less greenhouse gas emisisions 1
Efficiency improvements mean that producing a glass of milk now results in:
less greenhouse gas emissions 1
But Dairy, like all sectors, knows there is more work to do…
Our journey so far and where we are heading.
Dairy Sustainability Framework established
Creating global, overarching goals to align the sector’s actions towards sustainability, and enabling annual reporting of progress, which began in 2018.
Dairy Declaration signed in Rotterdam
A commitment to the sustainable development of the dairy sector across six key areas, formalized at the World Dairy Summit.
FAO Global Climate Change and Global Dairy Cattle Sector Study
Analysis from 2005-2015 showed a reduction in greenhouse gas emission intensity based on efficiency improvements made by the sector.1
Announcement at the United Nations Food Systems Pre-Summit
New Pathways to Dairy Net Zero initiative announced on July 26, 2021.
Launch of Pathways to Dairy Net Zero at United Nations Food Systems Summit and Climate Week
Initiative launched on September 22, 2021.
Sharing progress and driving change at COP26
During the United Nations Climate Change Conference, the global dairy sector will encourage climate commitments and demonstrate progress already being made.
1. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Global Dairy and GHG Emissions. 2019. Available from: http://www.fao.org/3/CA3165EN/ca3165en.pdf [Last accessed July 2021].
PATHWAYS TO DAIRY NET ZERO INITIATIVE LAUNCHED.
The ground-breaking Pathways to Dairy Net Zero was launched on September 22 during Climate Week and prior to the United Nations (UN) Food Systems Summit. Forty leading organizations, including 11 of the 20 largest dairy companies in the world, were among the first to support the new global climate initiative.View the press release
Pathways to Dairy Net Zero announced at the United Nations Food Systems Pre-summit.
Pathways to Dairy Net Zero was first announced during the United Nations Food Systems Pre-Summit on July 26. Preliminary findings of new research showed positive change is possible across all dairy systems and regions.View the press release
How Pathways to Dairy Net Zero can support you.
Whoever you are, wherever you are, your contribution matters.
Every area of the global dairy community can support Pathways to Dairy Net Zero.
Pathways to Dairy Net Zero will:
- Include commitments from every area of the global dairy community to tackle climate change, while nourishing a growing population and sustaining the billion livelihoods dairy supports.
- Create methodologies, tools and pathways to transform commitments into positive, practical actions.
- Highlight progress from around the world – share best practices and recognize that all farms, all dairy systems and all regions can be more sustainable.
“The dairy sector plays a critical role in sustainable food systems and can contribute directly and indirectly to all the Sustainable Development Goals.”
Mr. QU Dongyu, Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Source: Keynote Speech at 2020 Global Dairy Platform Annual Meeting
Discover more about Pathways to Dairy Net Zero and how you can be a part of it.Download the guide
Be part of the solution. SIGN-UP TO THE PATHWAYS TO DAIRY NET ZERO DECLARATION.
Pathways to Dairy Net Zero raises dairy’s ambition to accelerate climate action by reducing its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions over the next 30 years.
By completing this form you are endorsing the declaration and recognizing that:
- Dairy helps create sustainable food systems, ensuring high-quality nutrition for all
- There are opportunities for all to reduce greenhouse gas emissions because positive change is possible across all dairy systems and regions
- As a short-lived greenhouse gas, reducing methane emissions from livestock can be part of a climate solution
- Dairy already has the means in many regions to reduce a significant proportion of emissions by improving productivity and resource use efficiency
- Reducing emissions today will safeguard nutrition security, sustain a billion livelihoods for tomorrow and help secure a future for us all
By endorsing the declaration you support and promote its six guiding principles, which include:
Continuing to improve production and process efficiency to further reduce greenhouse gas emissions intensity of milk and dairy products.
Greenhouse gas removals
Enhancing production practices that protect carbon sinks (soil, forests, grass and peatlands) and complement natural ecosystems.
Avoidance and adaptation
Improving practices such as feed, manure, fertilizer and energy management.
Insets and offsets
Identify and implement alternative, credible reduction options.
Measurement and monitoring
Measuring greenhouse gas emissions to plan mitigation and monitor progress.
Promoting the initiative and emphasizing the dairy sector’s climate ambition.
DOWNLOAD THE DECLARATION.
Be part of a mission with momentum.
This is a mission driven by the global dairy sector and supported by leading scientific and research organizations.
Get in touch with us here with any questions about Pathways to Dairy Net Zero, or for more information.